Wednesday, 23 March 2016

My Favourite Health/Well-Being Books



I absolutely love reading. I'll always search for new books on Amazon to see what I'm going to read next. Whenever I pop into Indigo, I will always head straight to the Health and Well-Being section. I've read so many great inspirational books, and I think there's no such thing as too much positive reinforcement and advice. There have definitely been some books that have given me confidence, great tips, and an overall brighter outlook on life. I wanted to share a list of some of my favourites, and give a little information on them. I definitely recommend the books below to anyone, and if you have any suggestions please let me know!

How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie



I'm pretty sure everyone with anxiety has heard about this book. If you haven't, you need to read it. When my anxiety was taking control of my life, and I couldn't leave my house without having a full blown panic attack, this was the book I was referred to. Though after reading it, I realized it's not just for people who are diagnosed with anxiety. This books gives a lot of great advice on how to...well, stop worrying. There are so many real life examples, motivational quotes, and lists on things you need to remember if you suffer from chronic worrying, from anxieties that occur in almost everyones lives. It's just such a great book to have, highlight, and sticky note, to refer back to if you feel like stress is taking over. Dale Carnegie is also the author of many other top selling motivational books, so I do believe he knows what he's talking about.


The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo





I know what you're thinking. "Megan, did you seriously buy a book on cleaning?" Yes, I did. But it's more than just about tidying up. I got this book because I live a very cluttered life. I'm someone who always keeps my room clean, and I know I can't get anything accomplished if things aren't organized. I just have a lot of stuff. I find myself donating clothes every week, but I still have no closet space. I want to live a more simplistic life. I haven't really been able to get rid of "stuff" until I read this book. I somehow thought I was going to need things that I haven't even touched in years. The author even has clients (yes, she is a professional declutter-er).The whole concept of this book is that a decluttered life = a decluttered mind, and that's something I have always believed. I find I'm a lot more productive when I don't have the distraction of everything around me. This book tells you how to quickly and drastically organize your life.

The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck About You by Johnny B. Truant



Yes, I have a Kindle (please don't kill me). I absolutely love this book. When I saw it on Amazon, I immediately bought it. It's pretty much about how big the universe is, and how small you are in comparison. It talks about how the universe was here before you, and will be here long after you, so your pretty insignificant to it. As brutal as that sounds, it has a very positive message. "The universe doesn’t hate you, but it doesn’t love you, either. You’re just an atom in its infinite workings. The universe doesn’t care if you live, die, suffer, or thrive. Whatever your life here will mean is up to you." This book encourages you to stop worrying about what other people think, be who you're supposed to be, and "do epic shit".


Did I Ever Wake Up? by Mod Sun



I have a more in depth review of this book that you can read here, but I think it's worth mentioning again. I actually met the author, Mod Sun, and he's probably the happiest man I have ever met. This book is all about being positive. If you put positive thoughts out there, the universe will return them back to you. He also talks about how being selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's important to think about and focus on yourself. 

Grace's Guide: The Art of Pretending to be a Grown Up by Grace Helbig



My boyfriend bought me this book because he knows how obsessed I am with Grace Helbig. I appreciate anyone who can make me laugh, and she's absolutely hilarious. If you don't know who she is, she's a comedian who is also very popular on YouTube. The only reason I wanted this book is because I've always been a fan of hers. What I didn't know was the amount of great advice it gives. She has quite a bit of life experience, and gives advice in such a humourous way. The whole book is pretty much about how to "pretend" to be an adult, and she talks about everything from break ups, anxiety, hangovers, the "walk of shame", and even how to throw a sophisticated "adult" party. The book includes so many fill in the blank features, and also has a number of pages quoting her mother, because we all know, moms give the best advice.

I hope you found this post helpful. I truly recommend every single one of these books. I tried to include ones that everyone can benefit from. Remember, there is no such thing as too much positive reinforcement. I'm always looking to expand my library, so if you have any book recommendations, please let me know!

Megan x

4 comments:

  1. I've seen Grace's guide everywhere but never really thought that I would pick it up because I just thought that it would be like a typical YouTube book, nothing special. Glad to know it actually stuck with you! I would also highly recommend A Work in Progress by Connor Franta. While it was more of a memoir than a self help he had some great life lessons and incredibly calming pictures. The whole book is just very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about that! Grace's Guide also has a lot about her life, but gives really good tips in a hilarious way. I'll definitely check out A Work in Progress!

      Delete
  2. Great books! I still need to ready "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo" and "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie"...they've both been on my list for such a long time! Thank you so much for sharing!
    xx Ronja
    www.sothisiswhat.com
    { CREATE THE LIFE YOU LOVE }

    ReplyDelete